Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Possibilities not Probabilities

Last week we took Jillie to a "Can't Wait Until Eight" Special Olympics golf program and she LOVED it. Who would have thought our two week shy of five girl with special needs would enjoy such a sport.  I have to admit, golf is not a past time I am particularly fond of.  Chasing a tiny white ball around a massive back yard is really, not my cup of tee.  (Did you see that, pun intended)

The Hubster on the other hand, he likes the game.  His clubs, glove and shoes are gathering dust in the garage, waiting for another chance to meet up with a course for a few hours.  Unfortunately, finances have not afforded him any tee-times for many years. I know, deep with in his heart he has been longing for a partner to enjoy this form of recreation along side of him. It looks as if that opportunity may be coming sooner than we thought.  Time will tell.


What does Jillie see in golf, is the question though.  The first time she "played" her putter was just about taller than she is.  The awkward stance for a child with low muscle tone, has got to be a challenge.  The grip on the club is another difficult task all in itself.  What is she seeing that I don't?

As I watched her setting her feet and lining up her putt with Coach Mark, getting ready for her "tic-toc" swing, I spotted something.  I saw her thought process, trying to figure out what to do, willing her body to move in the direction she wants it to.  I could see her fighting her Dyspraxia.  She knew exactly what she wanted to do but the link between her brain and her body is weak.  You see, Jillie, like her oldest brother, is a thinker.  She delights in figuring things out.  She sits in front of a mirror for a half an hour examining her face while maneuvering her mouth to form sounds and words.  Her first time on a carousel she watched the gears in movement instead of the horses, people, or lights, exactly like Eric.  She loves to watch her "Signing Time" sign language DVDs over and over and over while perfecting the subtle formations of her fingers.

Again, she amazes me.  Why should I be surprised though?  After all, she has more chromosomes saying she is a Schulze than she has providing her with Down syndrome.  Why do I put such unwarranted limitations on her?  I don't do it on purpose.  I see her striving to learn daily, why should this be any different?  It shouldn't.

So here I am, again, at the putting green being reminded to raise the bar for her.  Challenge her to do things I have not expected.  Allow her time and room to grow.  Stop thinking, I know her probabilities and start looking for her possibilities.

The thought comes to mind that, I need to make sure I am doing just that with the rest of my family.  Sometimes, I rely on history to play out our future.  When I should be relying on history to be the foundation for our future.  I believe God wants us to build upon each and every event in our lives whether positive or negative.  He doesn't want us to live life in repetition. He wants us to stop looking at our probabilities and begin searching for our possibilities.







No comments:

Post a Comment