Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

A Note Sharing A Letter by Noah's Dad

The first time I held Jillian
I was one of the fortunate ones, my grief lasted but a moment.  My heart was won over by Trisomy 21 before Jillian was born.  I could not have imagined, thought of, wished for anyone different than our baby girl.  I don't know why but I was excited at the thought of my child being born with Down syndrome.  That response is not typical, at all.  When I look back at how enthusiastic I was, I am sure I took the medical community around me by surprise.  They were used the the devastation, they were used to the loss, they were used to emotions far different than the ones I was portraying. I didn't give them a chance to be sorry for us.  When I look back, I see nothing but my heart having been prepared by God.

With that said, I have recently read a wonderful letter posted on a wonderful blog, noahsdad.com.  The father of a child with Down syndrome having not been diagnosed until birth had experienced the typical emotions, not regretting his son for one minute.  Here is a taste of what his "Open Letter to Every OB/GYN On The Planet" says.


I’m the father of a two year old boy named Noah who was born with Down syndrome, and whom we love very much. I understand that in the course of your day to day work you often have the difficult responsibility of telling parents news they never thought they would receive; that there’s a likely chance the little boy or girl in their mothers womb is going to be born with Down syndrome.

Why I’m Writing You This Letter

I invite you to click on the link above to continue to read what, Rick Smith, Noah's Dad has to say.  It is what I hope to tell future parents.  Look for the Possibilities not the Probabilities.

She is a "Smart Cookie" just like her shirt says!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog and for your post! You sound like great parents! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rick! I know we have a few years of "parenting" on you but I appreciate your comment as well as the parenting hints you share on facebook. I have loved getting to know your family through your blog. Look us up if you are ever in the Grand Canyon State (it's open again don't ya know)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Cindy, I thank Jesus for you daily. You are a blessing to my Levi and me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bunches. I love that you share Levi with me each week. You are sweet!

      Delete